Friday, September 16, 2005

Welcome to the world, Lily Ann...

I did it! On September 13, 2005, with the help of one excited daddy, and a few dozen doctors and nurses, I successfully brought the most beautiful baby girl into the world. Lily Ann McDonald was born at 7:22 PM, weighing 6 pounds and 8 ounces, and measuring 19 inches.

Our adventure into parenthood began on Monday, when Doctor Green called and asked if we would like to make an appointment to induce labor the next morning at 10 am. Since I was almost a week overdue, and ready to hold my little girl in my arms rather than my tummy, we nervously accepted the appointment. We were told to spend the rest Monday getting rest…instead we went to McDonalds for some healthy eating, and rented a couple of movies - we decided to spend one last night just enjoying each other’s company before our life changed forever.

We arose the next morning, and made our way to Columbia Regional Hospital. We arrived at the Family Birthing Center just after 10, where we checked in and were settled into a delivery room. I then changed into a gown, and was soon hooked up to two monitors – one measured my contractions, and the other monitored the baby’s heart rate. We soon found out that I (completely unaware) was already having contractions, though they weren’t quite strong enough to make baby come out. Aaron and I spent the next couple of hours relaxing, watching TV, and coloring while a team of doctors and nurses closely watched the baby and me. Around 1, they finally decided to administer Patocin through my IV, which would make my contractions become stronger, and hopefully help the baby begin to make her way out. The next couple of hours were spent watching a movie, while my contractions began to get stronger. Then around 4, the real pain began – the doctors decided that it was time to break my water. As soon as my water was broken, my contractions became extremely strong, and were coming every 2 minutes. It was not much later that I told Aaron that it was time for an epideral. He called the nurse, who called the anesthesiologist, who came and eased my pain. I spent the next 2 hours having contractions (nicely lightened by the medicine running through the tube in my back), talking with Aaron, watching TV, and waiting for my little girl to make her way out. Suddenly, around 7, the nurse announced that it was time to start pushing – my baby was ready to come out. The next 22 minutes were spent bearing down, blacking out, and pushing…it was a repetitive process, that became increasingly difficult as the baby made her way closer to my arms. Finally, at 7:22, Lily Ann McDonald graced us with her presence. After she was cleaned out and up, and after I was stitched back together, I was able to hold my daughter. I have been living on cloud nine since that very moment.

My parents and my grandma had just arrived at the hospital when Lily was born, and they were able to come and meet their granddaughter mere moments after she was born. We spent the next hour together expressing our joy, and gushing over precious, perfect, Lily Ann. They then took Lily to the nursery, and mom, dad, grandma, and Aaron were able to watch through the window as she was poked, probed, and tested for every sickness known to man. While they did that, I was prepared for my move to a new room.

We all made our way to room 3306, where they soon brought me my daughter, and I was able to examine her perfect inch by perfect inch. Lily has dark brown hair with blond highlights, and big, gorgeous, blue eyes. She has her mommy’s round face, her daddy’s feet and hands, and her own perfectly tiny body.

Lily has been a joy - I keep asking myself how God could bless me with such a pleasant, sweet, perfect child. I thank him for her every time I look at her and think of her. I couldn't have asked for anything better than my darling Lily Ann. She is truly the child that every mother dreams of...and for some reason, God gave her to me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rian said...

Hey Annie Bananie,

Congratulations on the addition of your baby dwarf! See is sooo cute! Don't worry, I'm not going to kill you. Rian and I are very happy for you. We send our love from Down Under and can't wait to see you and your lovely family soon.

Love Bethany and Rian

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boys watch out...A-Mac has a daughter!! I can see you cleaning your gun as she brings over the boys already!! Congrats! Love you guys. Hope and Peace!!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home