Friday, June 17, 2005

Gaining...

My darling husband called me fat (again). I know that he is only joking, but I seriously feel huge! I guess I should start at the beginning...

Baby, Aaron, and I had an appointment with Dr. Green on Tuesday. This time we had to stop by the laboratory before going on to our normal appointment, where I had to drink an ice cold bottle of Glucose in three minutes. Mmmm...n-a-s-t-y. (I had to drink the Glucose so they could test me for diabetes). Then we went upstairs to our regular appointment, while the glucose traveled through my system. At the beginning of every appointment, I have the pleasure of peeing in a cup, finding out how much weight I have gained since the last visit, and getting my blood pressure checked. My weight gain has been "normal" through the pregnancy thus far, but when I stepped on the scale this time, it told me that I had gained a whopping 10 pounds. My nurse (who happens to be a very nice lady) said, "did I read that right? That's a lot!" My reply: "Yes, thank you, I know." Though astounded at my weight gain, Nurse Brenda kindly reassured me that it is common to have one large weight gain throughout the pregnancy. She also said that, since it's so hot outside, I am probably just retaining more water. Though this sounded like a nice excuse to me, I have a feeling it's not water that I'm retaining...it's ice cream. Ice cream, chips and dip, chocolate milk, and all of the other foods that my tummy has been craving...I bet that's what I'm retaining.

After my appointment was over, Aaron and I wandered around the hospital for a while before reporting back to the lab (the glucose has to be in your system for exactly an hour for the test to work right). We then made our way to the lab, where I had to had my blood drawn. A lot of the people who work at the hospitals in Columbia are medical students at the University of Missouri, and one of these students happened to be drawing my blood...this made me very nervous, to say the least. But, to my surprise, she did a wonderful job. It was the best blood-drawing experience that I have ever had.

On Wednesday, Nurse Brenda called my cell phone and left a message saying that she needed me to call her. Now, just try to imagine the fear that traveled through my body (which happens to be a longer trip than normal). After a joyous game of phone-tag, I was finally able to get ahold of Nurse Brenda, and she told me that my blood test was perfectly normal (woo hoo!), but...yes, I know, but...my urine test showed that my iron is low...ugh. So I'm now taking an iron supplement along with my regular prenatal vitamins.

So that is my latest story. I hope that I haven't bored you too severely. I pray that everyone's summer has been safe and enjoyable thus far. I will write again soon.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sis! It's your favorite little bro up here in TC! Sounds like you're having fun @ the hospital! When you started talking about students at the hospital i thought you were gonna say you saw Drew Brown there cause he's taking paramedic classes. Well, things are pretty good up here. Graduation was surprisingly fast and went really well! See you in a few days! :)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

No, I didn't see Andrew at the hospital, but I saw him out at the park with Cassie. Aaron was umpiring for the really little kids, and we were watching...it was pretty hilarious. Anyways, I am jealous that you are in TC and I am not...it has been 3 stinking years since I've been there. When are you guys coming home? The kittens are getting more and more cute, and they're starting to wrestle...you're missing it...

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Annie, SO good to see a pic of your belly. Put on another BIGGER belly pic please!Of course I look forward to baby pics soon and the revealing of that SECRET name you guys are hiding.
I expect you will drill David as SOON as he gets back there on what the heck he is doing courting our Deci - HA! (had to say that D&D)

Hope you don't hate us too much, Annie, but we showed David MUCH video on past b-day parties here in T.C. He saw lots of "You Don't Own Me....." ha,ha,ha!! We laughed SO hard! Then we saw the birthday when you put panty hose over your face, you first and then all three of you Musketeers, laughing so hard you fell down. Very hilarious! I expect to hear you girls do that song again...someday.
Love you, miss you, Mom Kennedy

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home